7. Using the Microwave transformer in 2016

<Intro>
In terms of utilizing high voltage, it can be used for all sorts of functions, from the projects like the tesla coils to demanding applications in the real world, and in this case, it's used to power up the magnetron for the microwave oven. Just note that it can be dangerous once you operate the high-voltage source for the first time, even when you prepare yourself by being cautious. For this case, I wanted to observe and use this microwave transformer for high-voltage experiments, and as a result, it generated over 2 kilovolts from the output!

<How it started>
During my walk from high school, I stumbled across a worn-out microwave oven, and seeing how interesting it is to hack it, I called out to my friend so we can carry it back to my home. This oven is exceptionally heavy, but with some perseverance, we made it in so I can later hack it open and try out the dangerous components inside (with the safety of course). Knowing that this oven hasn't been used for a long time, I assume the HV capacitors are well discharged but try to make sure to short the leads out when you try it yourself. eventually, I pulled out the transformer itself, which is heavy on its own, and tried to wire it up based on the circuit below (it's pretty simple), I then tied up the high-voltage wire to a stick so I can make sparks at a distance, and with it turned on, it generated bright orange "flame-like" arcs while also making a humming noise!

<Entire MOT from the microwave>

<Other things>
Besides the transformer we found, I also saw the aforementioned capacitors, which work by storing high voltages and discharging it out to the magnetron, the diode, which only lets current flow through one way only, and of course, the magnetron itself, which is the source of all the microwaves being generated. I also saw the circuitry that controls the duration of the magnetron, so that you don't overcook your food, as well as the ac filtering board(shown in the picture above) in order to prevent the "noise" from going back into the AC line and interfering with other appliances.

Overall, this has given me a taste of what it's like to operate such high voltages, but be warned, and use extra precautions if you decided to try and replicate the same project as I have! Here's the video of the results, and note how powerful the arcs were.

   HV MOT test


<MOT setup>

Comments

Popular Posts